Teeth Whitening Facts
When you get your teeth whitened, whether you use teeth whitening products like a home teeth whitening kit or you visit your dentist, you should understand a few important points.
1. What are some common things that can stain teeth?
- Your teeth can easily become discoloured over time. Many everyday foods and drinks, as well as lifestyle choices, can cause your teeth to go from bright white to dull and discoloured. Things like coffee, red wine, tea, soft drinks, and smoking can all dull your smile. The acid content in a lot of teas, sodas, and wine can wear away at your enamel and cause discolouration.
2. What is teeth whitening?
- Teeth whitening is a procedure where you or your dentist applies a mixture containing either hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide to your teeth to break down any discolouration or stains. As your treatment progresses, you can get your teeth several shades whiter as the stains break down more and more. The Australian Dental Industry Association carefully regulates the amounts of hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide whitening kits contain to ensure they are safe to use.
3. What makes a person a good candidate for teeth whitening?
- Before you use a teeth whitener, you want to ensure that you’re a good candidate. It’s important that your teeth and gums are in good condition. If you have receding gum lines or other dental issues, see your dentist before using teeth whitening. They may recommend that you improve your oral health before using a teeth whitening kit.
4. Are there any risks of using teeth whitening products?
- You may experience a slightly elevated sensitivity in your teeth, tongue, and gums during and after a teeth whitening treatment. This sensitivity should fade away within a few days. Also, on a very rare occurrence, your teeth may over-whiten and appear almost grey and translucent. However, this typically only happens if a person over-extends their whitening procedure.
Using Whitening Kits
Using whitening kits is an excellent way to give yourself a brighter smile, as long as you do your research and choose the best teeth whitening product for your situation. With proper care and maintenance, you can make your teeth whitening results last longer, and you’ll see an improvement in your confidence levels.